Friday, January 18, 2013

no (sham) 'Poo?

i am going to try something new--a little experiment, if you will.
i am going no 'poo! no shampoo that is.

actually i'm going to try it and see what happens because, if my hair gets nasty and stinky, i will end it. period. this reminds me of my misguided foray into the natural deodorant world. oh boy, was that a mess! ick. it started out with good intentions, but testing the different natural deodorants make you realize how stinky one can be and that we/i sweat a lot. (also, natural deodorants are expensive and a pain in the ass, and we can't forget how lazy i am, and sometimes using natural deodorants consists of multiple steps. boo.) after a few years of having sweaty armpits and smelling not so pleasant with certain deodorants, i was sick of being self-conscious all the time. give me my Dove deodorant/antiperspirant, and send me on my way. yes i know that natural deodorants are just that, deodorants and not antiperspirants, hence my sweating. but like i said, i was tired of being self-conscious.

let's move on.

so a little back story.
i hate my hair. partly because i've never been properly introduced to it. i've had it for 33-ish years and we are still strangers. i would go so far as to say that my hair actually hates me. at times, i think its trying to kill me. i always thought i had thick hair. but recently a hair dresser informed me that i have thin hair, i just have a lot of it. a lot. that is why i shed all the time. who knew? not me. and my hair frizzes. sometimes it curls, but mainly it frizzes. ugh. 

i'm pretty cheap when it comes to my hair. i don't use products and only blow dry it every once in a while. and i don't shampoo my hair often, usually once a week. so when i came across a blog post on another blog where the blogger has decided to go no 'poo, i was very interested. because i never new there was a no 'poo movement. it sounds easy and doable, so i'm giving it a go.

i know there is a breaking-in period for my hair to normalize. i've read it could take up to two months. i know i shouldn't have a problem, mainly because i am used to not washing my hair. god, i'm gross, right? i would go weeks at a time between shampoos so i know what to expect. i think some people would have a hard time with this breaking in period. like i said, i'm gross.

no 'poo recipe:

  • dissolve 1 tablespoon of baking soda in just enough water to make a paste. apply this to your roots only and work it in. let sit for a minute. then rinse.
  • add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar into a cup of water. apply the mix over the ends of your hair. let it sit for a minute. then rinse.

if you find your hair to be frizzy, use less baking soda.
if you find your hair to be greasy, use less apple cider vinegar.

here are a couple of links to some ladies who have tried or are trying the no 'Poo way. i've used their info as my guide.
the crunchy wife
my little celebration
oh dear drea
wikipedia

i'll keep y'all posted as i go and give updates. i think this will be okay and a step in the right direction with taming and getting to know my hair. xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment